Saturday, August 25, 2012

LSU embellishments

Things have been a little hectic here; however, I have managed to get a few things done. Not quite where as much as I would have liked to get done, but some progress was made!!

These embellishments were completed in very little time; if only all embellishments took that little of time to complete!!

Materials:

  • Small chipboard letters & Various (small) size Stars
  • Paint: Apple Barrel Purple Pansy & Dandelion Yellow (you can switch out colors)
  • Metallic Extra Fine Point Sharpie & Metallic Fine Point Sharpie (Don't have to use both, I choose to because I had both)
  • Paint Markers for the sides of these tiny letters (if you want them that way)
  • Glue pen
  • E600 glue or Glue gun
  • Small team emblems or any other items you wish to embellish with
I didn't use any sparkly trinkets because these are for a baby boy and I don't believe his father would have cared for his to have sparkles everywhere!! LOL!!

First, paint your small chip board letters in the color you choose as your base. I painted the sides of L, S, & U in yellow being they wouldn't get tiger stripes and then painted the front of them purple. Once they were dried I did another coat of yellow on the side in order to touch up any purple that may have gotten on the yellow. You can see in the picture above.

Using purple pansy as my base, I then painted all the other letters and some stars purple. Yellow wasn't added to the sides because those were about to receive tiger stripes. Once the purple was dried, I then took the metallic extra fine point sharpie to draw and shade in my tiger stripes on the letters.
For the star I used the same method; however, for the larger stripes I used the larger-tip sharpie. You don't have to use sharpie-brand, but if you do decide to use two different sized tip markers, be sure to use the same brand due to the variance in color.

Once your letters and stars are dried, you can now glue your stars together.  I choose to glue my smaller tiger-striped star on top of my larger purple star using E600 industrial glue.
It's not a big deal if the center stripes aren't perfect; you will cover that up.








To the left are the materials I used to make the star excluding the purple pansy paint along with the finished product of the two stars combined.


Once your star is complete, you can now secure your small emblem in the center of your star as shown below.
Using a glue pen apply your glue behind  your emblem and place it in the center of your star. Even though they these were already sticky, I recommend using glue to ensure security. The adhesives usually tend to ware off as time goes by; however, if you don't have a glue pen or craft glue, using the original adhesive can work. 

To the right is the completed piece.




Once my star was completely dried, I then glued it on the the letter "I" of the wall letters using the E-600 industrial glue.

 Completed!! Still have more of the wall letters to complete though.
I'll post a picture once they are all completed and of course more tutorials explaining the embellishments!!









Here is a better picture of the tiger-striped letters once completed. I orginonally was going to place them on his "T", but being he has two "T's" in his name, I'm not sure if it will look right to have to have one with the tiger letters and one without, especially since they are right next to each other.

 
By the way, all these photos where taken with my phone, so please excuse the imperfections.
Hope you enjoyed this and if you have any tips , please inform me!!
 
Have a wonderful day!!!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment